While we’re wondering what Trump’s reaction will be to Obama’s declaration that he “doesn’t understand the world,” and hoping it will be out-of-this-world fantabulous, I’ve decided to share something far more important than our current political landscape with all of you. That’s right. I’m finally doing it.
I’m about to give you what you’ve been waiting for…An in depth look into my life as a newly single 43 year old woman, and Mom, who has been thrust back into the dating world. I promised you a series, and that’s exactly what you’re getting.
I’ve been waiting for the right moment to begin this journey with you, and decided that there’s no time like the present. (I’m also attending a Bat Mitzvah tonight where the X will be as well, and thought, “Now feels about right”.)
It’s been 18 years since I was last in the dating world, and a shitload has changed. I know I’m not telling you anything you don’t already know. Everything is online now. Everything.
And, that especially goes for the 21st Century’s dating landscape. In fact, I think it would be cause for a primetime special if someone met someone today in a “happenstance” kind of way.
I really don’t know how you meet anyone, unless you’re online. And, there are a few things that sort of struck me when I started my dating quest. (Let’s consider this first post in my series, your “Intro into Sharon’s Brave New World.”)
My top ten things I’ve learned from online dating:
- It’s basically a form of online legitimate “Human Trafficking.” Or, one big Human Shopping Mall. Take your pick.
- I teach my kids about “Stranger Danger” and, yet, I will text and talk to a virtual stranger for no less than a day, before I say, “Sure…let’s get together for drinks. At night. In a dark bar. In a secluded booth. In the way way back, by the exit. The exit which leads to a dark alley. What time?”
- Men really like sleeveless shirts. And, beach shots. And, pics where they’re holding a drink, in a sleeveless shirt, on the beach.
- There are a ton of men, in their 40’s and 50’s, who have never been married and have no kids, but want to start having a family now. That automatically eliminates me, as my shop is C.L.O.S.E.D. for business.
- Being “Fit and Healthy” is extremely important to everyone, and they all want you to live the same.
- Most people are “Spiritual, but not Religious.”
- There are a ton of “Bikers” out there…and I don’t mean Harley riders, although I’ve noticed a fair amount of those too. A lot of men Cycle. And, they prefer a woman who cycles as well. (My girls at Soul should be smiling at this.) This always counts me out.
- There’s a lot of height-shaming out there for men. Or would it be lack-of-height-shaming?
- Nobody wants anyone “Crazy.” Hmmm. Really?! Because I’d just love someone straight out of Bellevue.
- Everyone is “witty, well-travelled, sophisticated yet fun and spontaneous, intelligent, loyal, successful, fit, healthy, well-balanced, financially independent, a foodie, lover of art galleries, dog lovers, into sports, movies, books, loves to cook, yada yada yada…” If everyone is really all of these things, why the hell are there so many people on so many different fucking dating sites??!! Riddle me that!
Okay…Now that I’ve given you some of my initial thoughts on online dating, we can get into it. Where shall we go from here though…What happens when your ex pops up on your dating feed? How do you “sell” yourself so you’re not really selling yourself? What are the new dating rules today? What really happens on these dates?
You’ll just have to check back daily to find out….xoxoxo
Tell me all about your online dating thoughts???