I really wanted to get back to my roots, and give you a fun post, but I am sick to my stomach when I think about Sean Spicer’s press conference earlier today. He’s disrespectful and demeaning to the press corp, combative, smug and manipulative. Just like his boss.
(And, I can’t even begin to think about Chuck Todd’s interview with Reince Priebus this morning. Equally disturbing and disgusting.)
When asked about the omission of anti-Semitism and the suffering of the Jewish people from the White House statement on Holocaust Remembrance Day, Spicer was unapologetic. And, I am pissed!
Not so coincidently, Trump’s Executive Order for the Muslim Ban, signed on Holocaust Remembrance Day, was a clear message. He meant what he said. Muslims are out.
This is why, as Jews, we have a moral responsibility to do something when we see something. We know. We know what it feels like to be singled out and persecuted. This is why Black Lives Matter. This is why we fought for Marriage Equality. This is why we continue to fight for a woman’s right to choose. This is why we are fighting this abhorrent Muslim ban. And, this is why the devastation happening in Syria, is our problem too.
I have posted before that I am a proud First Generation American and a Grandchild of Holocaust Survivors. So, my perspective is not just as a concerned World citizen, but as one of those personally hurt, offended, and concerned by the President’s statement.
So, how did the White House respond today? By sending out Sean Spicer to spin:
- The statement was intentional, and we’re very proud of it.
- The President was being inclusive of “all people.”
- There were other people who suffered too.
- Of course the President is sensitive to the suffering of the Jewish people during this horrible period in history. He has very close family members who are Jewish.
- And, my personal favorite…Sean Spicer told the press corps, “To nit-pick a single statement is just ridiculous. There is no greater friend to Israel and the Jewish people than President Trump.” (Uh-huh.)
Now, let me break this down for you…
- By “white-washing” the Holocaust, the strategic plan to disassociate the Holocaust from the Jewish people, under the veil of “inclusion,” is enacted. Subversive anti-Semitic propaganda is what Steve Bannon is all about.
- The term “Holocaust,” in and of itself, can only be used within the context of the attempted annihilation of the Jewish people. The “Final Solution” was a plan put in place to exterminate the Jews. Specifically.
- Continually pointing out that his son-in-law and daughter are Jewish, is a way for Trump to escape blame, after making blatant passive aggressive anti-Semitic attacks
- Then, there is the indignant outrage over the mere suggestion that D0nald Trump is anything but the most supportive and loyal friend to the Jewish people and Israel. I call bullshit.
What does this mean? Well, by aligning with Prime Minister Netanyahu’s right-wing position on moving the US Embassy, Trump looks like a fierce supporter of Israel, when an Intifada is exactly what he wants. It’s what Bannon wants. They need the Arab world to have a “justified” reason to rise-up, so they can wipe Israel off the face of the Earth.
Meanwhile, this unconscionable Muslim Ban, has already been set in motion here. Chaos has ensued. Our country is divided. We’re a complete mess. The Trump administration wants us to think they’re making mistakes, but they know what they’re doing. They’re dividing and conquering. Trump has shown his base that he is a “man of his word.” He’s emboldened them, and strengthened their nationalist loyalty to him and America, while the “left” is only that much more polarized. Remember…America first.
With the Muslim Ban in effect, Arab nations have already started to react, Islamic Radicals are gearing up, and our troops overseas are now further endangered. The desired rippled effect is happening. Ultimately, Trump and Bannon, want to have a reason to declare war, so our “Commander and Chief” can deploy our troops domestically, and increase our presence abroad.
Under the guise of “protecting” Americans, those troops will be used to quell our media and free press (Trump’s self-declared corrupt and biased “enemy”), Muslim community, any opposition, and the Jews. Who’s left? Trump’s base. America is now “safe and great again,” for the Christian “alt-right” American people.
Welcome to the end of democracy and the United States of Trump!
So, when we see what the White House did on Holocaust Remembrance Day, our elected officials, humanitarian organizations, civil rights groups, media outlets, and watch-dog agencies must firmly make a stand…together. We can’t let things like this slide, because words matter. Words become actions. And, it affects us all. We need to stand up, speak up, protect each other and fight for one another. We are one race…the human race. And, we are “stronger together.” (Yes. I’m still with HER.)
(Then again, what the hell do I know…I’m just a single Mother trying to raise two boys in the burbs.)